Economic calendar news events indicator for NinjaTrader 8
Improve planning your trades by seeing on your NinjaTrader 8 charts when the economic calendar news events get released.
Knowing when the economic news events are released is an important information used by most traders as some news events are increasing the market price volatility. It is possible to see the news release schedule from different websites but this forces the trader to remember the time of announcements. Seeing the news release schedule directly on the chart helps timing the trades better. Also, some prop firms restrict to trade around some news events so seeing these restricted times on the chart make it easier for the trader to comply with the rules.
You will get two indicators with your purchase:
- One indicator to show the economic news events scheduled for the current week.
- One indicator to show the historic news events released.
When you click on the small dot at the bottom of the chart for an event, you will see the news event details.
Each indicator can be customized as follow:
- You can select the source of the economic calendar from either Forex Factory or MyfxBook.
- You can select which news impact level to show on your chart.
- You can customize the color and opacity of each news impact level.
- You can show only news release from specific country.
- You can show only specific news title.
- You can customize for how many minutes before and after the news event you want the see the news release.
version 3.3 – January 28, 2023
- Fix problem from version 3.2 that caused the news from Myfxbook to not display.
version 3.2 – January 12, 2023
- Fix problem from version 3.1 that caused the news to not update from ForexFactory.
version 3.1 – January 5, 2023
- Fix timezone issue. Now when the time zone set in NinjaTrader Tools – Options – General is different than the local PC time zone, the news are displayed at the correct time.
version 3.0 – November 23, 2022
- Fix reading Myfxbook files. Please note Myfxbook do not output the previous and forecast values to the csv file anymore.
- Now when loading the indicator to a chart, the chart text color and background color are used for the news event text boxes.
version 2.2 – August 10, 2022
- Fix a bug that was causing news events to be duplicated depending of the Windows Date and Time format.
version 2.1 – August 9, 2022
- Fix an issue related to the Windows Date and Time format.
version 2.0 – July 3, 2022
- In the past there was one indicator for the current week news events and another indicator for the historical news events. Both indicators have been merged into a single indicator to make it easier. There is now an option on the properties window to show or hide the historical news events.
- The news dot size is now customizable to make it smaller or bigger from the new property called ‘News events dot size’ on the properties window.
- Add preset option to change the indicator name to make it smaller and more meaningful.
- The news data is now fully automated for Forex Factory, no manual intervention required for the historical news data.
version 1.2 – February 8, 2022
- Now support Windows screen resolution scaling different than 100%.
version 1.0 – September 10, 2021
- Initial release.
By purchasing this Product you get a lifetime License for one computer. You also get one year of free updates. At the end of this year of free updates your product will keep working normally, however you will no longer have access to the updates for free. The purchased version and updates will be downloadable from your My account page on this website.
Whenever you wish, you can purchase an update license at 80% to 90% discount of the Product regular selling price to extend your license with another year of free updates.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
If you’re not satisfied, we’re not satisfied. That’s our commitment and your risk-free 30 days 100% money back guarantee.
This Product is compatible with NinjaTrader® 8 only.
All prices are in US$.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
By purchasing this Product, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to all Terms.
“NinjaTrader® is a registered trademark of NinjaTrader Group, LLC. No NinjaTrader company has any affiliation with the owner, developer, or provider of the products or services described herein, or any interest, ownership or otherwise, in any such product or service, or endorses, recommends or approves any such product or service.”
The Economic calendar new events indicator contains the following settings:
News event source:
If you select ForexFactory as source, the news event file is automatically downloaded from the Forex Factory website for the current week.
If you select Myfxbook as source, you have to manually download the news event source file from the Myfxbook website by following these instructions.
Minimum News event impact to show on chart:
You can select from:
- High : Only the high impact news events will be visible
- Medium_High : Only the medium and high impact news events will be visible
- Low_Medium_High : The low, medium and high impact news events will be visible
By default the indicator is set to Low_Medium_High.
Show historic news events:
When this option is active, the historic news events which are news events older than the current week will be visible on the chart. When this option is not active, only the current week news events will be visible on the chart.
Please note that with Myfxbook you have to manually create the historical news events file.
Show events with Country same as Instrument Currency:
When this option is selected, all the news events associated to the same currency as the instrument currency will be visible. For example, if you are looking at a ES or CL chart, all news events related to USD will be visible on the chart. If you are looking at a Forex instrument, all the news events related to either the base or the quote currency will be visible. For example, for EURUSD, all news related to USD and all news related to EUR will be visible on the chart.
Filter by instrument to event Country:
This setting allows you to specify which news event currency should be visible for each instrument.
You need to write the filter as follow: Instrument,Currency,Currency (separated by a comma without any space).
For example, if you want to see the news events related to EUR on the CL chart you will type:
If you want to see the news events related to both EUR and CAD on the CL chart you will type:
If you want to set multiple instrument, you need to separate each instrument with a ; without any space. For example to see all EUR news events on the CL chart and to see all EUR and CAD news events on the ES chart you will type:
Filter by instrument to event Title:
This setting allows you to show specific news events title for an instrument.
For example, if you want to see the API Crude Oil Stock Change on the CL chart you will type:
CL,API Crude Oil Stock Change
if you want to see multiple news event titles for an instrument, you need to separate each title by a comma without space as follow:
CL,API Crude Oil Stock Change,EIA Crude Oil Stocks Change
Show only events that match above Title filter:
When this setting is active, only the news events that match the active filter defined in the ‘Filter by instrument to event Title’ setting will be shown on the chart. This setting is useful if you trade for a prop firm that restrict to trade around specific news events (news title) for some instruments. It could be also useful if you want to backtest a strategy based on a specific news event.
Minutes before the event to highlight:
This setting allows you to specify how many minutes before the actual news release time the color shading band will be visible.
Minutes after the event to highlight:
This setting allows you to specify how many minutes after the actual news release time the color shading band will be visible.
Re-read news source file every # hour:
This setting allows you to specify after how many hours the news event source file will be read again by the indicator.
Note: every time you change the chart instrument or interval, the news events source file is read again by the indicator. This setting is useful if you leave a chart untouched for long period of time to force a refresh of the news events source file.
News events dot size:
This settings allows you to set the dot size diameter in pixel to show the news events at the bottom of the chart window.
By default it is set to 4, you can increase that number if you prefer a bigger dot size.
Print all news event visible on the chart on the NinjaScript Output:
When this setting is active, all news events visible on the chart will be printed on the NinjaScript Output window. This setting could be useful for debugging or for getting all the dates for a specific news event when using one of the Filter setting described above.
By default this setting is not active.
You can change the band color from the “Highlight area color” and it’s opacity from the “Highlight area opacity (%)” settings for each news events impact level.
Text background are color:
By default this setting will be empty as the indicator automatically uses the Chart window background color as the background color for the news description text box. If you prefer to set a different color you can use this setting.
Text background area opacity (%):
You can change the news description text box background color with this setting.
By default this setting will be empty as the indicator automatically uses the Chart window text color as the color for the news description text. If you prefer to set a different color you can use this setting.
You can adjust the Font style and size used for the news description text.
3 reviews for Economic calendar news events indicator for NinjaTrader 8
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Handyman (verified owner) –
The News Events indicator is terrific idea. I have always wanted notifications right on my chart to remind me of impending news that could potentially ruin my day if I become distracted. This indicator works great and doesn’t seem to waste computer resources. Stephane is on top of it if you need any help. He got back to me within a few minutes and corrected issues I had on my system immediately. Great find for me at a reasonable price.
Shahab (verified owner) –
This is a great handy tool to have on charts while you are trading as it saves you from looking somewhere else for the news during your trading. The only improvement I would advise is when the actual news event hits- the indicator doesn’t update. There should be a pop up that indicates the actual release and the impact ( bullish or bearish) of the news release right up on the screen as soon as the news hits the tape. That would make it a wonderful tool to use in real time trading during news events. Other than that- great add on to have on your charts.
Diego (verified owner) –
Very useful this indicator. I would advise a pop-up window indicating the actual release and the bullish or bearish impact of the news.